Thursday, December 15, 2011

Anxiety at the Hairdressers!

For me, it is easy to become nervous or anxious and then keep that stress in my body, making me feel perpetually anxious and nervous. But I am learning to let go and relax. Let me give you an example:

Though it wasn't the color I wanted, it's not bad.
This week I went to the hairdressers to get a cut and color. I was getting bangs, layers, and my first highlight/color in nearly two years. I was more excited than nervous; however, while sitting in the chair, I noticed that my legs were pushing very hard against the foot rest and that my whole body was tense. Once I noticed this tension, I have to say, I was a little surprised I was that rigid. But awareness of the tension helped me to realize that I had become anxious about my hair. At that point, I was able to do some self-talk: "There is nothing to be concerned about. It is just hair. At the worst, it will be something different. I know that she is a good hairdresser and that it won't end up terrible. Though it might not look exactly like the picture, it will still be a nice change. If it is terrible, it will grow out or I can get a different cut or re-color."

This is an example where being aware of my body's feelings and reactions aided me in knowing how to fight the anxiety with self-talk, even if it was just telling myself to relax again. (I guarantee you, I would've carried that with me the rest of the day or week if I hadn't released it!)

Think back to this week or maybe even last (if you can remember that far^^). Were you more aware than usual of your body's anxiety responses or the energy you took in? If so, congratulate yourself! The more you practice, the easier it will be. Soon it will be second nature and the hardest part will be expelling the negativity. I would love to hear about any recent times when you noticed you were tensed up!


2 comments:

Jenn S. said...

Well you look adorable !! Good self-talk

Jessica said...

Thank you!